What do I need to do to divide my property in rural Linn County?
The Linn County Unified Development Code regulates the division of land. Any parcel of ground created that is less than thirty-five acres in size must file for a plat of subdivision with the Linn County Department of Planning and Development. Depending on the use of the property (proposed or current) you may also need to rezone your property. Rezoning may be required when a property is being subdivided, resulting in any lot of less than 35 acres of land. A rezoning or subdivision request must meet the required minimum levels of service (MLS) and have a Land Evaluation Site Assessment (LESA) score calculated for the property. There are different MLS requirements for different land use designations on the Linn County Land Use Plan Map; however, they are all required to be within 1/4 miles of a hard service road. Well and septic requirements as well as maximum distances to a fire station are additional services required. Minimum levels of service are items that must be met and no variances are allowed. Contact the staff at Linn County Planning and Development at (319) 892-5130.

Show All Answers

1. What permits are required to build a house in Linn County?
2. What is the "farm exemption" and what qualifies for the exemption?
3. Is there a deadline for submitting my application for next month's agenda?
4. Where do I obtain agendas for Linn County zoning meetings?
5. How do I find out what the current zoning is for a certain property in Linn County?
6. Can I operate a business from my home in Linn County?
7. What are the required lot sizes and setbacks?
8. What is the status of my Linn County zoning case?
9. My property is subject to deed restrictions (covenants). What are they and does Linn County enforce them?
10. What do I need to do to divide my property in rural Linn County?
11. Can I sell the original farmhouse from the farm?