Request an Absentee Ballot By Mail
Requesting and voting an absentee ballot through the mail is an easy way to get your ballot mailed to your home or other destination if you are a registered voter in Linn County. Voting by mail allows you the convenience of voting from the comforts of home.
July 6, 2020 is the first day our office can accept an Absentee ballot request form (PDF) for the November 3, 2020 Presidential Election.
Request An Absentee Ballot
- Download an Absentee Ballot Request Form (PDF).
- Our office must have a written request from each individual voter wanting to vote by mail. Our office does not mail out ballots without a request.
- The deadline for requesting a ballot to be mailed is 10 days before general elections and 11 days before all other elections. The request must be physically in our office by 5 p.m.
- Our office must receive the original request.
- Submit the completed Absentee Ballot Request Form to the Linn County Election Services Office.
- Our mailing address is: Linn County Election Services, 935 Second Street SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404-2100.
- Email the elections office or fax (319-892-5359) requests are not honored unless they are followed by the original. The original can be mailed but it must be postmarked on the pre-registration deadline. In addition, the request must be received by the time the polls close on Election Day.
- Voted absentee ballots returned by mail must be postmarked on or before the Monday before Election Day. Postmarks are not guaranteed by the Post Office.
Once the Election Services office has your completed absentee ballot request form, staff members will process your absentee ballot request form.
Absentee Ballot Delivery
When your ballot arrives, there will be additional items inside the delivery envelope:
- A ballot for your precinct.
- Instructions on how to complete your absentee ballot along with important dates related to absentee voting.
- Secrecy folder to keep your voted ballot a secret.
- A combined Affidavit/Return Envelope which requires your signature on the backside. The returned envelope is postage paid.