The Linn County "Adopt-A-Roadside" Program allows individuals and organizations an opportunity to improve the quality of our road rights-of-way. These opportunities have the potential to:
- Reduce litter along roadsides
- Improve the environment and beautify roadsides
- Building broad-based community support for anti-litter and right-of-way beautification programs.
The Department will work with the sponsor to determine the specific section of right-of-way to be adopted.
- Sponsors agree to indemnify and hold harmless Linn County, its Board of Supervisors, officers and employees from all liability, judgment, costs, expenses and claims growing out of damages or alleged damages of any nature whatsoever to any person or property arising from the performance or non-performance of right-of-way work. Sponsors agree that in the performance or non-performance of right-of-way work that they are initiators and volunteers and are in no way to be considered employees of the Board of Supervisors or the Linn County Secondary Road Department.
- Sponsorship will be for a minimum of 1/2 mile and 2 years. If litter pickup is involved it must include both sides of the roadway. If only litter pickup is involved, the minimum distance will be 2 miles.
- Sponsorship will not be granted to political parties, political candidates, elected officials or entities, which would constitute partisan endorsement.
- All participants are expected to wear orange safety vests when in the right-of-way.
- Litter must be removed a minimum of twice per year depending on the area and conditions.
- Plant species used, and locations of plantings must be approved by the Department.
If, in the sole judgment of the Department, it is found that the sponsor is not meeting terms and conditions of the agreement, the Department may terminate the sponsorship.
Procedure for Roadside Adoption
An individual or a representative of an organization should contact the Secondary Road department at 319-892-6400.
The department will explain the program, assist the sponsor in choosing a location and send out related materials.
The sponsor will complete both copies of the application (WORD), sign request form (PDF)(if signs are requested) and return to the Linn County Secondary Road Department, 1888 County Home Road, Marion, Iowa 52302.
All applications are subject to approval by the County Engineer and Board of Supervisors.