Victim Witness Services

How to Report a Crime

If you believe you've been the victim of a crime, you must make a report with the local law enforcement agency where the crime occurred.

Filling Charges

If the law enforcement agency forwards a complaint to the County Attorney's Office, the county attorney will decide what charges, if any, are filed.

If a criminal charge other than a simple misdemeanor is filed by the county attorney, and you are identified as a victim of the crime, you will receive an informational packet from the County Attorney's Office. Once you have received this packet, you can contact the County Attorney's Office at 319-892-6350 if you need assistance completing the packet.


The IowaVINE is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or internet to search for information regarding their offender's custody status and register to receive telephone and email notification when the offender's custody status changes. This service is brought to you by the Linn County Sheriff's Department. The IowaVINE toll-free number is 1-888-742-8463. You can register for notification from IowaVINE.