Linn County General Assistance provides temporary assistance to low income Linn County residents who are ineligible for or awaiting approval from federal or state assistance programs according to Linn County Ordinance.
General Assistance serves individuals and families in Linn County who are experiencing a financial crisis. Assistance can be provided for the following:
- Rent or Mortgage Interest (up to $350)
- Utility bills, if the remainder of the bill can be paid
- Water (up to $100)
- Electricity (up to $98)
- Gas (up to $45)
- Burial Assistance (up to $1,000)
Applicants may also receive a voucher for food and non-food items at Hy-Vee, Fareway or Save-a-lot, or a one-month bus pass for the City of Cedar Rapids Transit, if approved for assistance in one of the areas listed above.
General Assistance can assist temporarily or provide ongoing assistance depending on the situation. Please refer to the FAQ section for more information.
These are the primary eligibility requirements. Please contact our office as there may be additional requirements based on your individual situation.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and a legal resident of Linn County
- Earn below 100 percent of the Federal Poverty Line
- $1,012 for a single adult
- $1,378 for a two adult household
- Cannot be receiving other assistance such as Social Security (can be in the process of applying for assistance) or the Family Investment Program (FIP)
- Cannot have quit or have been terminated from a place of employment within the last 60 days, unless it is the result of a documented health issue
- Cannot be a full-time student
Call our office Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 319-892-5850 to see if your individual situation meets all the requirements for assistance.