Services During COVID-19
Linn County’s top priority is the health and safety of employees and the public. That is why Linn County offices reopened July 20 on an appointment-only basis as part of a phased approach to reopening. Linn County will continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 situation and adjust County operations and safety measures as needed.
Many County services can be conducted online or remotely through email, mail, our drop boxes, or over the phone. To schedule an appointment with the Auditor’s Office or for questions about remote services, please call 319-892-5300 or email Auditor@linncounty.org.
Read more about our service modifications designed to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and keep employees and customers safe.
The Office of County Auditor was created in 1870. The duties of the office covered areas that had previously been given to the County Judge in 1851 and to the Clerk of Court in 1861. The State Legislature added the duties of Commissioner of Elections to the Auditor's Office in the early 1970's. The County Auditor is an elected position with a term of four years.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Linn County Auditor are as follows:
- Accounting Services
- Keeps ledger accounts of all revenues and expenditures of the County
- Receives claims for payment from various departments
- Prepares lists of claims for review by the Board of Supervisors (BOS)
- Issues payments for claims approved by the BOS
- Keeps all wage and withholding records for county employees
- Receives time cards, computes wages, generates and distributes payroll checks
- County Clerk Services
- Takes minutes of the BOS meetings and maintains records of BOS proceedings
- Processes permits on behalf of the State of Iowa for beer, liquor and cigarette sales by businesses in the unincorporated areas of the county
- Processes fireworks permits for residents outside the City of Cedar Rapids
- Election Services
- Administers all local, state and federal elections in Linn County
- Maintains county voter registration records
- Property Tax & Real Estate Services
- Keeps records of all property ownership in the county
- Determines tax rates and property taxes for all taxable property based on valuations and certified local budget