Veteran Affairs


Mission Statement

Serve each veteran Remember their service Understand their needs

Federal Service Programs

Linn County's Veterans Affairs (VA)-certified staff helps eligible veterans apply for compensation and pension programs to assist veterans and their dependents, including the following:
  • Compensation for Service-Connected Disability / Death
  • Nonservice-Connected Disability Pension
  • Death Pension for Surviving Spouse and Dependent Children
  • Aid and Attendance for Nursing Home and Housebound Veterans
  • Appeals of Unfavorable VA Rulings
  • Eligibility Verification Reports (EVR)
  • Application for Iowa Veterans Home

County Service Programs

Linn County Veterans Affairs (VA) provides temporary assistance to veterans and their families.  Assistance is provided for the following (see eligibility section for more information to see if you qualify):
  • Rent
  • Interest on original mortgage
  • Food Pantry on site
  • Utilities
  • Indigent Burial
  • Grave Markers
  • Transportation Assistance (Bus Tickets/ Gas Cards)


The veteran must have been discharged under honorable conditions and have served 90 days or more of federal active duty service, be a resident of Linn County for at least 30 days.  Must meet certain income guidelines.

Staff Services

The staff also assists with:
  • Obtaining military records and awards
  • Distributing grave markers and flag holders for Linn County
  • Networking with VA hospitals
  • Networking with other VA facilities and social service agencies
  • Application for Iowa Veterans Trust Fund