Private Water Wells
Linn County Public Health's Private Water Well Program protects public health by preventing the contamination of groundwater supplies. Properly constructed and maintained wells can provide many years of uninterrupted water. By following Iowa's state regulations for well construction, conducting routine maintenance, and watching out for signs of contamination, you can extend the life of your well and improve the quality of your water supply.
Private Water Well Program
Assures that minimum standards are met for constructing, reconstructing, and plugging of private
- Regulates the construction and installation of all private wells, including water, geothermal and irrigation wells.
- Collects water samples from new and existing wells.
- Provides financial assistance through the Grants for Counties Program to help residents pay for the cost of well abandonment, well rehabilitation, and well water sampling.
- Pick an appropriate cold water tap from which to collect the sample (preferably unsoftened). Avoid swing arm kitchen-type faucets. Remove aerators. Do not use any type of hose. Also avoid leaky taps.
- Turn on cold water at a medium flow for 5 minutes to clear service line.
- Do not adjust sample flow while sampling
- Write your name and address on the container. For bags, open by tearing the perforated top and pulling on the short tabs on the sides. Do not contaminate the inside of the sterile container with fingers, faucet, or splashing water.
- Insert bottle (Coliform testing) into the stream of water and fill to or above the 100 ml line and tighten securely.
- Insert bag (Nitrate testing) into stream of water and fill approximately 2/3 full and flip bag 4 or 5 times. Twist tabs together being careful to avoid puncturing the bag.
- Please return to lab before 4:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday. We must receive sample within 30 hours of initial collection. Keep sample cool during transport to the lab. Avoid temperature extremes.
Please contact Linn County Public Health to schedule water analysis of your private well at 319.892.6000