Patrol is the most visible of the divisions. It provides primary uniformed law enforcement protection for the unincorporated areas of Linn County. In addition, the Patrol Division provides contractual law enforcement services for 11 towns in Linn County (Alburnett, Bertram, Center Point, Central City, Coggon, Ely, Fairfax, Palo, Prairieburg, Springville, and Walker). The Patrol Division is responsible for patrolling the major thoroughfares in Linn County and over 1,200 miles of secondary roadway that traverse through the unincorporated areas of Linn County.
The Patrol Division includes the specialty units of:
• Accident Investigation
• Bomb Squad
• School Resource Officer
• Immediate Response Unit (SWAT team)
• Rescue 57 – a paramedic level rescue service that responds to all EMS calls
in the county, excluding Cedar Rapids and Marion
Additionally, one Patrol Division deputy is assigned fulltime to the local US Marshal warrant task force.
In FY16, the Patrol Division:
• Logged 884,053 miles patrolling the county
• Responded to over 39,320 calls for service
• Investigated 788 traffic accidents
• Made 1,334 arrests
• Served 1,711 warrants
• Performed 2,611 motorist assists
• Issued 5,555 traffic citations and 6,313 warnings
• Logged over 12,225 hours of contractual law enforcement service in the
11 contract towns in Linn County.