General Assistance

Our Mission

Our mission is to provide temporary assistance to low income Linn County residents who are ineligible for, or awaiting approval from federal or state assistance programs according to Linn County Ordinance 

To be eligible for assistance from the Linn County General Assistance Program an applicant must meet the following requirements: 

  • Legal resident of Linn County
  • At least 18 years old
  • Meet income guidelines (at or below 100% of the Federal Poverty Level)
  • Cannot be receiving Social Security 
  • Cannot be a student
  • Families with children must apply for FIP (Family Investment Program) at DHS

  • The type of assistance that can be provided is:

  • Housing (rent/lot rent/interest on mortgage) up to $350/month
  • Current utility bills (gas/electric/water)
  • Food/non-food voucher
  • Maximum monthly assistance is $450
  • Burial expenses (up to $1,000 for a cremation)

  • To apply for assistance:

  • Complete a screening form at the General Assistance office
  • Screening forms can be completed Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.  No appointment needed
  • Picture IDs and Social Security cards for all household members are required
  • If it appears from information on the screening form that an applicant may be eligible, the applicant is given an Application Packet to complete and scheduled for a return appointment with an income maintenance worker who makes the final determination of eligibility

  • In addition to assistance from the Linn County General Assistance Program there are two ways for the public to find additional information that is available to assist those in need: 

    Community Resource Sheets

    The community resource sheets can be accessed online.  The resource sheets are updated annually and provide a starting point to help individuals and families attain the assistance they need to stabilize their situations and ultimately become more self-sufficient.  Many of the programs and services listed have eligibility guidelines or criteria.  Anyone using the resource sheets is encouraged to read the service description before contacting the organization.

    United Way 2-1-1

    The United Way of East Central Iowa's 2-1-1 is a call service and an online web site that is available to provide individuals with resources and information.  Individuals have the option of dialing 2-1-1 (319-739-4211 or 866-469-2211, toll-free) or searching the United Way 2-1-1 website. Some features of the website are: 
  • An up-to-date database with over 840 agencies and resources
  • Easy search; search by keyword or browse by topic
  • Save your search; if you need to come back to your search, you can easily save the search

  • The following resources can be found: 
  • Basic needs
  • Physical and mental health
  • Employment support
  • Assistance for older adults and persons with disabilities
  • Support for children and families
  • Emergency/crisis assistance