Our mission is to provide temporary assistance to low income Linn County residents who are ineligible for or awaiting approval from federal or state assistance programs according to Linn County Ordinance
General Assistance serves individuals and families in Linn County who are experiencing a financial crisis. Assistance can be provided for the following:
- Rent or Mortgage Interest (up to $350)
- Utility Bills, if the remainder of the bill can be paid
- Water (up to $100)
- Electricity (up to $98)
- Gas (up to $45)
- Burial Assistance (up to $1,000)
General Assistance can assist temporarily or provide ongoing assistance depending on the situation. Please refer to the FAQ’s section for more information.
Who can apply for assistance?
- Must be at least 18 years of age and a legal resident of Linn County
- Earn below 100% of the Federal Poverty Line
- $1,012 for a single adult
- $1,378 for a two adult household
- Cannot be receiving other assistance such as Social Security (can be in the process of applying for assistance) or the Family Investment Program (FIP)
- Cannot have quit place of employment within the last 60 days, unless it is the result of a documented health issue
- Cannot be a full-time student
Linn County General Assistance Advisory Committee October 10, 2018 Meeting
Still in need of assistance?
Community Resource Sheets
The community resource sheets can be accessed online. The resource sheets are updated annually and provide a starting point to help individuals and families attain the assistance they need to stabilize their situations and ultimately become more self-sufficient. Many of the programs and services listed have eligibility guidelines or criteria. Anyone using the resource sheets is encouraged to read the service description before contacting the organization.
United Way 2-1-1
The United Way of East Central Iowa's 2-1-1 is a call service and an online website that is available to provide individuals with resources and information. Individuals have the option of dialing 2-1-1 (319-739-4211 or 866-469-2211, toll-free) or searching the United Way 2-1-1 website. Some features of the website are:
- An up-to-date database with over 840 agencies and resources
- Easy search; search by keyword or browse by topic
- Save your search; if you need to come back to your search, you can easily save the search